Sunday

Short Story Sunday(1)

Each Sunday, I will post a 500 words short story for you to read. Tell me what you think in the comments!

In a towering city, I walk alone. In the dark streets, with just the faint lights from the street lamps that line the streets I travel through, I can just make out the shape of a person. Standing tall, with a muscular tone, hair hanging over one side of his face. Before he can notice me I turn and pull myself into a sidewalk, hidden from his view. I wasn't expecting to see him here-for him to turn up at all. To know that the truth that I have devoured the country for, could be in my hands within minutes.  My heart is thudding against my chest while my breathing is ragged and sharp. I once said to Charlie, that despite the fears we have faced throughout our lives that I would do this for her. And although she is gone, something I will never be able to forgive myself for but because of the guilt racking me everyday I will never be able too, I know I have to fight. It's not just a fourteen year-old girl being reckless, I'm too determined for that. It's a chance to know the truth, and you're telling me you wouldn't take it? When you're life has been shattered like glass, with nobody to turn to but yourself. But you can’t even bear to look at yourself?
My breathing has slowed down so I pull myself out from the bin I was hidden behind and holding my head high, I walk over to him. You can hear my foot-stops as I walk down the empty alley-way, the only sound the howling wind. It's gone midnight by now-I'm late.

"So, you've finally decided to show your face huh?" He turns toward me, his eyes piecing my skin. They are dark, empty, like a bottomless pit. But he has a cunning grin on his face. One that causes me to take a step back.

"Couldn't possibly turn down the opportunity" I reply, a slight hint of sarcasm in my voice

"Someday you will learn Isabelle" From the way he says my name you would swear it was poison

"Learn what?"

"That you may not want to hear the truth" He catches a strand of my hair and I recline "What do you think you can do now? You're sister, what was her name Charlie, is dead dear, why exactly are you here?

The mention of my sister sets my cheeks flaming. I feel the anger rising within me, the grief that can no longer stay buried.

"I want to hear the truth Eleazer, despite your pathetic little mind games!" I scream "Yes, Charlie's dead! She's dead! And I know the part you played in this!

He chuckles "So, why are you here?

"I want to hear you admit it!"

"Admit it? Of course, anything for you my dear..." He takes a pause, just to add the drama. But says nothing. "Take this" He hands me a note:

Murderer

"Just for the memories, dear" He adds

4 comments:

  1. This is a really good idea/goal! I think it's an awesome way to get a ton of writing in and provide your blog with fresh new stories. :)

    My Sunday goals as of right now are get all of my homework finished and get a reasonable amount of sleep before class on Monday :S

    Anyways, I'm a new follower! Excited to be reading more short stories! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Sleep is always needed-I always find myself kept up with a book on Saturday night. :)

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed this, would love to read more if you decide to revisit these characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I may revisit them-maybe next Sunday?

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read - and comment on - this blog post! I read and reply to every comment, so feel free to ask any questions and I'll answer!

See you soon!

Sophie Louise