Tuesday

Review: After Eden by Helen Douglas

If love is in the stars, maybe it will find you one dark night, when you least expect it...

The mysterious Ryan has just appeared in Eden's life -suddenly as if from nowhere. He's gorgeous, irresistible, but of all the girls vying for his attention it's only Eden he seems interested in. Eden's 'best friend' Connor is not so impressed. But, as Eden's feelings for Ryan grow, so her questions about him increase.

Where has this beautiful boy come from and why has he chosen her? In losing her heart, Eden discovers she risks nothing less than the future of plant Earth.

Can we just take a moment to stare at that gorgeous cover? It's so vibrant.

I enjoyed this. No, I really enjoyed this. After Eden is a beautifully crafted, enthralling and exciting read. I fell in love with all of the characters, and couldn't get enough of the unique premise and plot. This was so good.

From the moment I opened this book, I fell in love with the setting - Perran. The descriptions were detailed, and I could picture all of the settings so vividly in my mind. I was able to slip into this world, and quite frankly, didn't want to leave. The writing is also beautiful, I completely adored it. I couldn't seem to get enough, and unlike most Science Fiction books, I learnt a lot from it. The constellations were really focused on, and the plot was perfectly paced.

The part of the novel that is about time-travel is so well understood, although it leaves you asking questions and wanting to know more. After Eden is completely unique. It packs Science Fiction, Romance and even a bit of Contemporary into one. Of course, there is the small subject of the romance between Ryan and Eden. Their romance builds up throughout the chapters, and you find yourself endlessly waiting for them to kiss. I found it so much fun, exciting and very much cute. I mean, it was also hilarious, as they are really a pair of average teenagers. Every page that went by you discovered more about him, and really, the plot become more daring.

Sixteen year-old Eden quickly became one of my personal favourite female protagonists. She was an unsuspecting heroine, and so relatable. One minute she is a normal teenager, studying for exams in a small countryside town - and the next she's thrown into world where Earth's existence in the future is something she is risking. Not only is Eden smart, and holds her wit, she's funny, entertaining and realistic. There was also a very determined side to her, where you will find yourself rooting her on. Other times, she will have you laughing at some sarcastic comment. The way she accepted things I was in awe off. Ryan Westland is gorgeous, outgoing and mysterious. You get to know him a bit more and he is still just that.
 
 This book is effortlessly gripping. I mean, this was just so good. As for shocks, and unexpected twists, it certainly had a few of those. On one occasion towards the end of the book I was on the edge of my seat. I can't really express why I liked it so much, but for some reason I couldn't put it down! The build up to the ending was shocking, and I can't wait to read the sequel.
 
The word I am really looking for is refreshing. It's completely new, exciting, unique. It has an interesting set of characters including a deadly villain and what about that cover? My only downside is the romance is a bit too sickly sweet - although cute.

Rating: 4.5
Recommended for: Ages 12+

Publication: 4th July 2013
Find this book on Goodreads

3 comments:

  1. YAAAAAAY! Love sarcasm so much and this sounds absolutely amazing :D Was it a mega cliffhanger? Don't know if my heart can take many more of those but still excited to read my copy!
    Great review, Sophie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh comes out on my sisters birthday hehe! This looks good, I love a gripping plot. Great Review, thanks for sharing xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this for review and now I am VERY excited to read it! Eeep! :D I'm so glad you enjoyed it. The gripping plot sounds great and I love protagonists like Eden. And Ryan sounds awesome :D Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read - and comment on - this blog post! I read and reply to every comment, so feel free to ask any questions and I'll answer!

See you soon!

Sophie Louise