Thursday

10 Stages of Bookshopping

A few weeks ago, whilst sorting through the assortment of A4 paper decorating the kitchen table, I unearthed a sheet where I had scribbled-down the heading '8 Stages of Bookshopping'. Having managed to now finish that draft, a little while later, I've now realised it takes more energy - and effort - than I first thought to take a trip to Waterstones! And I've also managed to find a few new stages whilst thinking about my own - regular - visits...
 
***
 
STEP 1 - ATTEMPTING TO RESIST
 
The point in which, when walking down the street, your local bookstore appears up-ahead. With it's window-display decorated with new releases and the tables stacked high with bestsellers visible inside, it's a challenge to resist running straight through the doors and to the YA section. You stand outside for a while, attempting to move on, telling yourself that - under no circumstances - you're going to enter.
 
 You can't resist the temptation.
 
STEP 2 - SETTING THE BOUNDARIES

At this point, all readers tend to lay down the law of the trip inside, repeating a mantra over in their heads.
 
"Only for a few minutes..."
 
"Just to see whether they have the final book in that series..."
 
"No more than one..."
 
"As long as I have enough for everything else I'm meant to buy..."
 
Sound familiar? But, you never listen.
 
STEP 3 - TAKE IT ALL IN
 
The rows after rows of shelving that line the wall; the colourful covers that decorate the children's section; the collection of paperbacks and hardbacks. The scent of the coffee that drifts down from the café; the freshly printed-pages waiting to be turned; the air tainted by the leather-bound covers. The recommendations that are shared amongst friends; the discussions over series endings; the excited squeals as a much-anticipated sequel is found.
 
You are reminded of home.

STEP 4 - LET'S BE FRIENDS
 
Who can help but listen to the other conversations taking place? You catch snippets of sentences where your favourite books are mentioned, discussions about movie castings taking place between a group of friends friends, and it takes all of your self-perseverance to not interrupt. A stranger approaching would scare them. You hear mentions of a book you are yet to read, attempting to block out the conversation, not wanting the book to be ruined.  All you can do is pretend the art of distraction, listening from a distance, seemingly admiring a randomly-selected fantasy.

You want to ask whether you can be friends.

STEP 5 - IT'S A BALANCING ACT

Attempting to carry the choices you have made so far, that Game of Thrones box set threatening to break your back, still adding to your stack of books as you attempt to navigate the store. By this point, it's becoming a struggle to see where you are going. It's a form of weightlifting.

You agree that this counts as your workout for the day.
 
STEP 6- MAKING THE CUT

Somehow, the selection of a dozen novels you have made whilst browsing the store needs to be narrowed down to fit within your budget(which will never be enough to cover your book-buying obsession). You spend the time re-reading the blurbs, opening the books to random pages, admiring the covers. It's almost too painful to watch as you place those that are on your wish-list back on the shelves.

You recall it's similar to choosing a favourite child.

STEP 7 - FINAL DECISIONS

Avoiding the awkward glances from those around you, it is time to search through the stacks like some feral-animal on the hunt for the most 'perfect' copy to add to your collection. There can no broken spines; no bent pages; no marks on the cover. The book(s) you buy need to be spotless.

You can't help but be a perfectionist.

STEP 8 - OVERCOME WITH REGRET

Let's admit it: the promises that were made when walking through the doors are rarely kept. The likelihood is more time has been spent inside than anticipated, and there are a considerable number of books tucked under your arm - not just one. When you're head stops spinning from the excitement of all the book-buying, you come to terms with the amount of money that has been spent.

You realise your purse is almost empty - and are overcome with guilt.

STEP 9 - NEED TO RE-ENGERGISE

There's no excuse to not grab a brownie from the bookstore café on the way out. Or to collapse into one of the comfy seats for a while and read your new buys.

You are exhausted.

STEP 10 - PRIDE IN PURCHASES

Pictured: Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn | We Are All Completely Beside
Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler

Would there be any extra 'stages' to your own - unplanned - bookstore visit?

Tell me in the comments!

Sophie
x
 

5 comments:

  1. Haha I mainly go to the library but I feel as if this is my friend. Every single time we see a book shop we must go in and she'll spend forever choosing books and doing all this stuff while I'm standing there reading the blurbs looking for any nice new books to borrow, possibly from her and her shelf of books. But I definitely relate to the making friends one. A couple of times I've actually said something and it's actually really nice talking to strangers about your favourite series and never seeing them again.

    -M
    The Life of Little Me

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the most accurate post I've ever read. This is me everyday when I have time to kill after school (who decided to put a bookstore near my bus stop?), right down to the Game of Thrones box set.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, I knew I'd love this as soon as I clicked on it. So good. The mantra one is completely true for me! "Well only if it's a certain price", "If it's on sale", "I'll only buy one". I've had a friend yell at me from across the street to get away from the bookstore I was about to (and did afterwards) go into. :) I have this problem all the time with used bookstores. I just can't help it! I love the books and bookstores are just wonderful places and I totally feel home there.

    You basically named all my steps. :) Especially the "Final Decisions" one with the awkward glances. I've had a stack of books ready to buy only until I was like "Wait! I want to put a couple back" then have to move myself out of line so the people behind me could pay since they actually had all their books picked out. Haha.

    I loved this post.

    --Amber @ YA Indulgences

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! It is so hard when you want ALL the books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! It is so hard when you want ALL the books.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read - and comment on - this blog post! I read and reply to every comment, so feel free to ask any questions and I'll answer!

See you soon!

Sophie Louise